- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach or kale
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 to 16 uncooked lasagna noodles (regular noodles with frilled edges, not oven-ready noodles)
- 4 cups pasta/marinara sauce (from two 24-ounce jars - see notes below*)
- 1 15-to-16 ounce container whole milk ricotta (part-skim will work too)
- 4 to 8 ounces creme fraiche (see notes below**)
- 16 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil (optional, but highly recommended!)
*You’ll need to buy two 24-ounce jars of pasta/marinara sauce to get 4 cups of sauce, but you’ll only use about half of the second jar.
**Mixing creme fraiche with ricotta makes the ricotta layer richer, smoother and creamier. You don’t have to add a full 8 ounces of creme fraiche, which is delicious, but makes the lasagna very rich.