Fluffy Instant Pot Basmati Rice with chickpeas and an aromatic blend of kid-friendly spices. An easy, flavorful side dish!
Total Instant Pot Cooking Time: 10 minutes to reach pressure + 6 minutes at high pressure + 10 minute natural release
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive oil, canola oil, or coconut oil)
- Half of an onion, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice, rinsed (see below)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs for garnish - parsley, cilantro, mint, dill (choose one, or use a combination of herbs)
- Optional: ¼ cup dried fruit, such as currants or golden raisins
Rinse the Rice
Rinsing rice removes starch, which helps the rice cook into fluffier, separate grains rather than clumping together. To rinse basmati rice, put the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse the rice under cold water, stirring with your fingers to move the rice around. I rinse rice for about 30 seconds. When the rice is rinsed, tap the strainer to shake off excess water and set the rice aside.
Cook the Basmati Rice
- Warm the oil, using the saute function.
- Add the onion and spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon), cooking for about 2 minutes until softened. Stir often, so the onion and spices don't stick or burn to the pot.
- Add the water, rice, chickpeas and salt. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid. Make sure the steam release valve is in the sealed position.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice. Add salt to taste.
- Add fresh herbs (or serve herbs on the side)
- Add dried fruit (optional)
This recipe is made in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
If you prefer softer rice, then use 1 3/4 cups water for this recipe. The rice won't be quite as fluffy and will clump together a little bit, but it's still tastes really good and has a softer texture.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
Keywords: basmatic rice, instant pot basmati rice, spiced rice, chickpeas