Rinse the Rice
Rinsing rice removes starch, which helps the rice cook into fluffier, separate grains rather than clumping together. To rinse basmati rice, put the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse the rice under cold water, stirring with your fingers to move the rice around. I rinse rice for about 30 seconds. When the rice is rinsed, tap the strainer to shake off excess water and set the rice aside.
Cook the Basmati Rice
- Warm the oil, using the saute function.
- Add the onion and spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon), cooking for about 2 minutes until softened. Stir often, so the onion and spices don't stick or burn to the pot.
- Add the water, rice, chickpeas and salt. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid. Make sure the steam release valve is in the sealed position.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice. Add salt to taste.
- Add fresh herbs (or serve herbs on the side)
- Add dried fruit (optional)