Both healthy and hearty, quinoa sweet potato chili is a filling vegan dinner that can be made on the stovetop or in your slow cooker.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 2 medium or 3 smaller sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into *1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed with water)
- 1 4-oz can (mild or spicy) diced green chiles (or 1 bell pepper, chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 6 cups water or broth
- green onion
- jalapeno pepper
- tortilla chips
*The most important thing is that the pieces of sweet potato are all about the same size so they cook evenly. The larger the pieces, the longer they will take to become soft.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices (chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, cinnamon) and cook about 1 minute more, stirring constantly so the spices don’t stick to the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients: salt, tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, sweet potato, quinoa, green chiles, parsley, water/broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over medium-low, half covered with a lid, for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the chili isn’t sticking to the pot. The chili is done when the sweet potato is soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- When the chili is done, add more salt to taste. Toppings are a must - tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, etc..
- Simply add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir well before putting on the lid. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or High for 4 to 6 hours.
The quinoa will absorb liquid, making this a thick chili. Add more broth or water if you want, especially if you're reheating the chili later in the week.
- Category: Chili
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quinoa chili, quinoa, sweet potato chili, quinoa sweet potato chili