Step 1: Soak the rice noodles
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Turn off the heat. Add the rice noodles, swishing the noodles around briefly to separate. Let the noodles soak for 6 to 10 minutes, until tender but still slightly firm and chewy, "al dente." Drain the noodles, rinse briefly in cold water, and set aside.
Error on the side of soaking the noodles for a shorter amount of time, since they will be cooked again briefly when stir-fried.
Step 2: Make the Rice Noodles with Egg and Shrimp
- Whisk together the sauce: distilled white vinegar, sugar, Bragg Liquid Aminos, soy sauce and sesame oil. Whisk again a few minutes later, to make sure the sugar is dissolving.
- Heat a wok or wide non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sauce to the hot wok (whisk the sauce before adding, as sugar might settle on the bottom of the bowl)
- Add the rice noodles. Cook the noodles and sauce for about 2 minutes until the noodles absorb the sauce. Stir frequently (I use tongs) so that all the noodles are coated in sauce. Put the noodles in a serving bowl.
- Turn down heat to medium. Add a drizzle of oil to the wok.
- Add the eggs to the wok and gently scramble. Once the egg is mostly cooked but still soft, mix it into the noodles.
- Add the shrimp to the wok. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Finish with a squeeze of lime.
- Add the shrimp to the noodles and egg.
- Serve the noodles warm with chopped green onion.