Rice noodles with vegetables is a versatile vegetarian dinner made with roasted vegetables and rice noodles cooked in an easy stir-fry sauce.
The recipe below uses broccoli and mushrooms, but you can roast any of your favorite vegetables for this dinner. See the blog post above for ideas!
- 2 medium heads of broccoli cut into bite-sized florets, or 1 pound broccoli florets
- 12 to 16 ounces mushrooms (any variety), sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped (optional). Use a micro-plane zester to grate
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Rice Noodles & Stir-Fry Sauce
- 8 ounces rice noodles (also called stir-fry or pad thai noodles)
- 3 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or grated (use a microplane zester to grate)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Divide the broccoli and mushrooms between 3 sheet pans and drizzle sesame oil and olive oil on top. Toss well with your hands to evenly coat the vegetables. If the veggies seem dry, you can add a little bit more oil
- Grate ginger over the veggies (optional) and toss again. Spread the veggies out evenly on the baking sheets in one layer, evenly spaced out. Lightly season with salt.
- Roast the veggies 15 minutes, stirring once, until tender and lightly browned. If you like crispier vegetables, cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the vegetables roast, bring a pot of water to a boil, then turn off the heat.
- Add the rice noodles. Soak for 6 to 10 minutes, until al dente - tender but still chewy and not overly soft. I usually find that 7 to 8 minutes is about right. For detailed instructions, refer to my guide for how to cook rice noodles.
- Briefly rinse the soaked rice noodles under cold water and set aside.
- Whisk together the stir-fry sauce: soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and garlic.
- Take the broccoli and mushrooms out of the oven and transfer to a large serving dish.
- Toss the veggies in 2 tablespoons of the stir-fry sauce and 1 to 2 teaspoons lime juice.
- Heat a wide skillet (12-inch) or wok over medium-high heat. Add the remaining stir-fry sauce.
- As soon as the sauce begins to simmer, add the rice noodles.
- Stir-fry the rice noodles for 1 minute, stirring/tossing frequently to coat the noodles and absorb sauce.
- Transfer the rice noodles to a serving bowl. You can toss the noodles with the roasted vegetables, or serve the noodles and vegetables in separate bowls.
You can use either brown rice noodles or regular rice noodles for this recipe. The cooking instructions are the same for both.
- Category: pasta
- Method: roast
- Cuisine: Asian American
Keywords: rice noodles, brown rice noodles, rice noodles with vegetables, vegetarian rice noodles, rice noodle stiry-fry