This easy and flavorful Instant Pot dinner is delicious comfort food, made with tender chicken thighs, fluffy white rice and just a pinch of fragrant spices.
Total Instant Pot Cooking Time: 10 minutes to reach pressure + 6 minutes cooking time + 10 minute natural release
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, avocado oil or sunflower oil
- ½ an onion, finely chopped or grated* (see note at bottom of recipe about grating onion)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups white rice
(I use Jasmine. Rinsing is optional, but will make the rice fluffier. See notes below.)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon (just a pinch)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Combine the oil, onion and carrot in the Instant Pot
- Press the Saute button and saute the onion and carrot for about 3 minutes to soften, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pot to make sure that bits of onion and carrot don’t stick to the pot.
- Add the water, rice, coriander and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add the chicken and season it with salt.
- Secure the lid, making sure the steam release valve is in the "sealed" position.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes
- Let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Mix well, shredding the chicken as you mix. Add salt to taste.
Why Do I Grate the Onion and Carrot? I like the way grated carrot and onion easily meld into this dish. You can use a cheese grater to grate both the onion and carrot. Or, you can just finely chop both.
Why Rinse Rice? Rinsing rice cleans the rice and also removes starch from the outside of the rice. Rinsing off this excess starch helps the rice cook into fluffier, individual grains.
How to Rinse Rice: Use a fine mesh strainer. Put rice in the strainer, then run water over the rice. I move the rice around with my fingers, to make sure the water runs over all of the grains. I usually rinse the rice for about 30 seconds. Shake as much water as possible off of the rice, so that you're not inadvertently adding additional water to the Instant Pot.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot, instant pot chicken and white rice, chicken and rice, instant pot dinner