This simple, straightforward recipe for un-soaked Instant Pot black beans is a great starting point for cooking black beans. You can adjust the cooking time slightly, either more or less, based what texture you like best.
Use these beans in any recipe to replace canned beans.
Double this recipe for a bigger batch of cooked beans - just stick with the ratio of about 3 cups water for every 1 cup/8 ounces dried black beans.
Total Instant Pot Cooking Time: 10 minutes to reach pressure + 30 minutes cooking time + natural release
- 1 cup dried black beans (about 8 ounces)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional flavor enhancers: Olive oil, garlic cloves, onion, bay leaf, fresh herbs, dried spices, bacon or ham hock
- Rinse the beans with water.
- Combine beans, water and salt in the Instant Pot.
- Add any additional seasonings you want (optional)
- Secure the lid, making sure the steam valve is in the sealed position.
- Cook on high pressure 25 to 35 minutes by pressing the Manual button and programing the cooking time. Choose a cooking time within this range based on the texture you want.
25 minutes = Fairly firm
30 minutes = tender, beans mostly hold their shape but some split
30 + minutes = softer and creamier beans
- Let the pressure release naturally
- You'll have cooking liquid left in the pot when the beans are done. I often serve the beans with a little bit of liquid to keep them moist. You can strain the liquid from the beans if you’re using the beans in a recipe, but consider keeping the bean broth to use as a flavorful base for soup.
If your beans don't seem cooked enough you can always secure the lid back on the Instant Pot and cook the beans for a few more minutes, as long as there is still liquid in the pot.
When cooking beans (and grains) it's recommended that the Instant Pot is never filled more than half full. Beans and grains need room to expand as they cook.
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot black beans, black beans, Instant Pot