Instant Pot red lentil soup is a simple, cozy soup with mellow kid-friendly flavor. You can spice it up more by adding turmeric, cumin or curry powder. Sometimes I swirl in a little bit of coconut milk after the soup has cooked.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into ¼ to ½-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a large (4 quart) baking dish or large rimmed baking sheet, toss the chickpeas with olive oil, Parmigiano cheese and salt. Roast for 18 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas and cheese are crispy. The cheese will stick to the pan just a little bit as the chickpeas cook; a flat-edged spatula works well for scraping it off.
- While the chickpeas bake, make the soup.
Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
- Push the Saute button on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Add tomato paste and coriander, mix well, and saute 2 minutes longer.
- Add salt, lentils and water/broth and stir well. Secure the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is set to sealing. Press Cancel to stop the saute function, then press the Soup/Broth setting (or Manual setting) and set the cooking time for 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally when the cooking time is finished. Make sure the pressure release valve is moved to “venting” to release any remaining steam.
- Mix well and add more salt to taste. If you prefer a thinner soup, you can add more water or broth. If you prefer a smoother soup, then blend half or all of the soup before serving.
- Serve the soup with the parmesan chickpeas on top.
This soup freezes well or will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. When reheating, you might need to add more water or broth if the soup is too thick.
Stove Top Instructions: Simmer the soup partially covered for 30 minutes, until lentils are soft.
The chickpeas can be made without parmesan cheese. Plain, crispy baked chickpeas are delicious too!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red lentil soup, lentil soup, red lentils