Instant Pot steamed broccoli is convenient and fast! Learn how to steam perfectly cooked broccoli - both fresh and frozen broccoli - in your pressure cooker with these helpful tips.
- 12 to 16-ounce bag broccoli florets (fresh or frozen) or one large head of broccoli cut into florets
- ½ cup water
- Pour ½ cup water in the Instant Pot.
- Using a steamer basket or the metal trivet that comes with the Instant Pot, add the broccoli. The broccoli should be in a steamer basket or on the trivet so that it sits just above the water.
- Close and secure the lid, making sure the steam release valve is in the “sealed” position.
- Program the Instant Pot to cook on either high or low pressure for “0” minutes (see instructions below)
- The IP will take 7-10 minutes to reach pressure. It will then immediately beep that it is done cooking, because the cooking time is set at zero.
- Immediately turn the steam release valve to “venting” to release the steam.
- Remove the lid and your broccoli is done!
How to Program the Cooking Time & Pressure Level
High Pressure: Cooking fresh broccoli on high pressure will yield slightly softer broccoli that is easily pierced with a fork. Always cook frozen broccoli on high pressure.
Low Pressure: Cooking fresh broccoli on low pressure will yield broccoli that is tender but still has little crispness to it.
To set the cooking time to "0" minutes and adjust the pressure setting, press the Manual button then press the minus “ - ” button to move the cooking time down to zero. If you want to switch to LOW pressure, then immediately press the "Pressure" button to change the red light under high pressure to low pressure.
If you don’t have a steamer basket or metal trivet, you can put the broccoli directly in the Instant Pot with the water, however, the broccoli will turn out slightly watery and softer. I don't recommend cooking the broccoli this way, but it's okay in a pinch.
If the broccoli is too crisp after the cooking time has finished, you can set the lid loosely back on the pot and let the broccoli sit for a few minute to cook in the residual heat.
- Category: vegetables
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: steamed broccoli, instant pot broccoli