You don't have to follow exact measurements for this salad - add a lot of chopped chicken and just a little bit of veggies for color, or make a mostly veggie salad with just a little bit of chicken.
To grate the veggies, use a hand-held cheese grater or a food processor with a grating disc.
- 4 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken breast (from 3 or 4 chicken breasts)
- 1/4 head purple or white cabbage, grated or thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup peeled and grated raw beet
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- Optional fresh herbs: parsley, dill, cilantro, mint
Creamy Lemon Herb Dressing
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, chives, tarragon or dill
Sesame Soy Sauce Dressing
- 1 tablespoon canola or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lower sodium soy sauce
- 1-inch piece of peeled ginger, grated (optional)
- Toss the cooked chicken breast in a large bowl with all of the veggies: cabbage, carrot, beet, celery and red onion.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Choose one of the dressings from the ingredient list above, either Creamy Lemon Herb dressing (traditional) or Sesame-Soy Sauce dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the veggie chicken salad with the dressing of your choice.
- Add crunchy toppings like nuts and seeds.
If you're not going to eat the salad right away, keep the dressing separate from the salad and toss before eating.
Veggie chicken salad will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, but the texture gets softer.
- Prep Time: 25
- Category: Salads and Bowls
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: veggie chicken salad, vegan chicken salad, grated veggie salad