Wholesome barley gets deliciously chewy and crispy in a hot skillet with scrambled eggs, sesame oil, garlic, ginger & scallions to make easy barley and egg fried rice.
- 3 to 4 cups cooked barley
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- Scallions, for garnish
Choose Your Toppings
- Easy Weeknight Tofu
- Frozen peas or edamame (defrosted)
- Snap peas (raw or briefly sauteed)
- Egg rolls
- Heat sesame and sunflower oil in a wide (12-inch) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. The skillet should be wide enough so you can spread the barley out in an even layer.
- When the oil is hot, add the barley to the pan. Spread the barley out into an even layer. Let the barley cook - without touching it - for 3 minutes.
- Stir and flip the barley then spread it out again in an even layer. Cook 2 minutes more without touching the barley. When done, the barley should be a deeper brown color, and it will be chewy and slightly crispy.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Push the barley to one side of the skillet. Add a drizzle of oil to the open side of the pan and spread the oil around, then crack the eggs into the pan. Scramble the eggs as they cook. When the scrambled eggs are not quite cooked and are still soft, mix the eggs into the barley.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar and maple syrup in a small bowl then pour the mixture over the barley and eggs and cook a few minutes more.
- Remove the barley from the pan and transfer to a serving dish.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil into the pan. Add the ginger and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes. Scrape into a small bowl, or directly over the barley fried rice.
- Serve barley and egg fried rice with chopped scallions on the side or on top, plus Easy Weeknight Tofu and your choice of peas, edamame, snap peas and/or egg rolls.
This recipe can be made using farro instead of barley
- Category: 30 Minutes Meals
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Asian American
Keywords: barley, barley and eggs, fried rice