Easy, healthy vegetable fajitas made from sheet-pan roasted sweet potatoes, bell peppers, red onion and spices. Serve this family-friendly meal with smoky lime sour cream and all the usual fixings, like black beans, avocado, tortillas and cilantro.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4-to 1-inch chunks
- 4 bell peppers, chopped into 1-inch chunks or sliced into strips
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into fourths (or eighths if it’s really big) then pulled apart
- ¼ cup oil (sunflower, canola, avocado or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular or smoked)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste after veggies are roasted
Smoky Lime Sour Cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
Extra Fajita Toppings: Black beans, avocado, cilantro. If you want cheese, try Feta or Cotija cheese crumbled on top or grated Monterrey Jack. These roasted vegetables are delicious wrapped in tortillas, served with chips, or eaten over salad greens or brown rice.
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Spread chopped sweet potatoes, bell peppers and red onion out on two rimmed baking sheets.
- Drizzle oil on top and toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle cumin, chili powder, paprika and salt evenly across the vegetables. Toss again.
- Roast until the vegetables are tender and very nicely browned, 25 to 35 minutes, or slightly longer. Stir a few times while they roast. Don't take the veggies out of the oven too soon! Letting them get slightly charred around the edges adds flavor.
- Serve vegetarian fajitas with all your favorite toppings!
To Make Smoky Lime Sour Cream, simply whisk together sour cream, lime juice, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt.
This recipe can also be made using golden potatoes instead of sweet potatoes, or use a combination of regular and sweet potatoes
- Category: Sheet-Pan Meals
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetable fajitas, vegetarian fajitas, sour cream