Easy, healthy vegetable fajitas made from sheet-pan roasted sweet potatoes, bell peppers, red onion and mild spices. Serve this family-friendly meal with smoky lime sour cream and all the usual fixings.
These vegetable fajitas are a colorful plant-based meal that you can slide into the family dinner rotation. This dinner is cooked entirely on a sheet-pan - easy, healthy and delicious!
Yes, there are lots of veggies, but don't worry - all the crowd-pleasing, kid-pleasing fixings are on the table too: black beans, tortillas, chips, avocados, and whatever else your family likes.
My goal is simple veggie fajitas that are also filling and flavorful. A short list of ingredients meets the challenge!
- Sweet potatoes (or sub in regular potatoes)
- Bell peppers
- Onion (red or yellow)
- Basic spices: cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt
- Chop up veggies
- Toss veggies with oil and sprinkle spices evenly on top
- Bake at 425 F until veggies are soft and charred around the edges like "real" fajitas (about 25 to 35 minutes, or slightly longer). Don't take the veggies out of the oven too soon!
- While the veggie roast, whisk together smoky lime sour cream, warm up a can of black beans, slice up or mash avocado, and warm tortillas in a hot frying pan with a little oil (or just warm tortillas briefly in the microwave right before eating)
Smoky Lime Sour Cream
Serving smoky sour cream on the side adds a little something interesting for the adults at the table. More complex and flavorful than regular sour cream, this quick condiment is made from sour cream, lime, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt.
You can jazz up sour cream in other ways, too. Using sour cream as the base, just stir in a tablespoon or two of another condiment or seasoning, such as:
- Chipotle peppers in adobo
- Taco seasoning
- Ranch seasoning
- Cilantro and garlic
Can You Freeze Sour Cream?
Freezing sour cream changes the texture. After defrosting in the refrigerator overnight, frozen sour cream is watery and grainy. The texture is no longer rich and smooth. You can vigorously whisk the sour cream and it will get a little smoother and thicker, but the texture of frozen sour cream just isn't the same as fresh sour cream.
So in short, no, I don't recommend freezing sour cream. However, if you're adding sour cream to a baked or cooked recipe, the texture doesn't really matter. You can add frozen and defrosted sour cream to recipes like pound cake or sour cream noodle bake.
What is Smoked Paprika?
Paprika is a spice made by grinding sweet red pepper pods. Most paprika found in grocery stores is very mild. You have too look harder to find high quality paprika that is more pungent and flavorful.
However, smoked paprika is usually easy to find in grocery stores. It will say "smoked paprika" right on the front label. Smoked paprika is made from sweet red pepper pods that have been dried and smoked over a fire, then ground into a fine powder.
More Ways to Serve Roasted Fajita Veggies
When you make vegetable fajitas, you don't have to wrap the veggies up in a tortilla. You can also:
- Roasted veggies + tortilla chips + salsa = delicious
- Serve the roasted veggies in fajita bowls with brown rice, quinoa or farro
- Toss the vegetables with salad greens for a fajita salad
- Cut the veggies into smaller pieces after they're roasted and make a veggie quesadilla
Vegetarian Family Meals
Does this recipe make you hungry?
for helpful tips and easy recipes