Tofu schnitzel has a creamy tofu middle with a crispy, crunchy panko crust. It's a versatile vegetarian main that can be served with just about anything.
My family loves chicken schnitzel, but for a vegetarian meal this crispy tofu schnitzel is also a favorite. Tofu schnitzel can be served with just about anything - noodles, rice, grains, and any of your favorite vegetables.
Sometimes, I put tofu schnitzel between a toasted bun with mayo and lettuce for a tofu "burger." So good!
Like many families, we're happily eating more vegetarian meals these days. I still struggle, though, to come up with vegetarian meals that are satisfying for everyone at the table. My husband and I will happily eat a bowl of quinoa with chickpeas, kale and tahini sauce. My kids...not so much.
Tofu gets a thumbs up from everyone, so it's become a protein that we rely on once a week. As much as we all like it (especially my easy weeknight tofu) it's easy to fall into a tofu rut.
On the hunt for something different, I came up with this crispy tofu schnitzel. This recipe turns tofu into something new, with a mild, versatile flavor that pairs well with just about anything.
Make Vegetarian Schnitzel in 3 Easy Steps
Tofu schnitzel is a surprisingly easy weeknight meal that can be made in 3 easy steps.
- Cut tofu into rectangles and press moisture out of the tofu
- Dredge the tofu in flour, eggs and seasoned panko
- Lightly fry in a skillet with oil, 2 to 3 minutes per side, until crispy
Change the Flavor
I use Lawry's seasoned salt to flavor the tofu because I always have it in my cupboard. However, you can flavor tofu schnitzel with a wide variety of herbs and spices, depending on what you crave.
*if you're not using seasoning salt for flavor, then remember to add regular salt to your seasoned panko mixture
- Curry powder/Garam Masala
- Cumin and/or chili powder
- Dill (fresh or dried)
- Italian seasoning
More Vegetarian Family Dinners
- Instant Pot Turmeric Coconut Rice
- Creamy Oven-Baked Polenta
- My Favorite Vegetable Lasagna
- Lentil Sloppy Joes (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Vegetarian Fajitas with Smoky Lime Sour Cream