Made from canned white beans and orzo pasta in a tomato-based broth, slow cooker white bean and tomato soup is an easy, satisfying vegetarian dinner.
This is a simple, healthy Crockpot vegetarian meal that's made (mostly) from opening cans and boxes in your pantry.
- Canned white beans
- Canned tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Broth (or water)
Plus the requisite trio of onion/garlic/carrot, and a dash of Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper.
Slow cooker white bean & tomato soup with orzo is a a simple, tummy-warming vegetarian soup. The white beans are soft and creamy. The orzo is plump and flavorful. I love this soup with parmesan cheese grated on top and a crumble of salty crackers.
Is Orzo a Pasta or Rice?
Orzo is pasta that is shaped like rice. In this recipe, the orzo is added to the slow cooker in the last 15 minutes of cooking.
When the orzo is cooked, add a squeeze of lemon to the soup, plus salt and pepper to adjust the seasoning.
Can I use Dried White Beans in this Recipe?
I don't recommend dried white beans for this soup recipe. Canned white beans work better. You can pre-cook dried white beans and then use them for this soup - here's a recipe for Instant Pot white beans.
Acidic ingredients such as tomatoes, wine, lemon juice or vinegar can prevent dried bean softening while they cook. Acid prevents the starch within the bean from swelling. For this reason, I don't use dried beans in recipes that also contain tomatoes.
How Do You Add More Flavor to Soup?
- Use homemade vegetable broth or chicken broth. This really is a game changer.
- Salt! Don't be shy about adding salt. Especially if you're just using water (not broth) as the base. Add some salt before the soup cooks, then add more when the soup is done.
- A few inches of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese rind can be added while the soup is cooking to add more flavor
- A spoonful of Better Than Bouillon is a secret ingredient and flavor booster. Add it at the very end of the cooking, to adjust the flavor.
- Add a drizzle of lemon or vinegar (try red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar) when the soup is done
- Soup is usually more flavorful the next day. Plan to make soup the day before you're serving it for dinner.
- Always serve soup with toppings that add flavor, like fresh herbs, grated cheese, sour cream, salty crackers, red pepper flakes or black pepper
More Favorite Soup Recipes
- Crockpot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Quinoa Soup with Corn and Potatoes
- Instant Pot White Bean, Cabbage and Tomato Soup
- Simple Vegetable Soup