Spaghetti squash chicken parm is an easy recipe for baked chicken parmesan with roasted spaghetti squash and a cheesy, crispy topping.
Here's what's for dinner tonight: Roasted spaghetti squash and chicken breast smothered in a crispy, cheesy topping of melted parmesan, mozzarella, panko and tomato sauce. Lots of garlic, of course, and fresh basil add even more Italian flavor to this cozy winter dinner.
Traditional chicken parm is fried, but this easy recipe for baked chicken parmesan goes straight into the oven. Canned tomatoes (or marinara sauce) and chicken breast are drizzled with olive oil, topped with panko, parmesan, mozzarella and garlic - and into the oven it goes.
The cheese gets crispy around the edges and stays soft and melty in the middle of the pan. Yes, this chicken is hard to resist!
The spaghetti squash is baked separately and then stuffed with the same cheese and panko mixture and baked again. This might just be my new favorite way to serve spaghetti squash!
Make This Recipe in 5 Easy Steps
- Give the spaghetti squash a head start, roasting the halves for 45 minutes
- Mix together parmesan, mozzarella, panko, garlic and Italian seasoning
- Top pre-baked spaghetti squash with cheese & panko
- Top chicken breasts and canned tomatoes (or marinara) with cheese & panko
- Put the spaghetti squash back in the oven with the chicken, bake for 25 minutes
To finish the recipe, bake the squash and chicken for 25 minutes.
And finally, sit down with your glass of wine and a plate of Italian comfort food. It's not traditional chicken parm, but it's delicious nonetheless!
While this recipe is easy, it isn't super quick. Cooking spaghetti squash takes time. I prefer roasting spaghetti squash, so it browns and caramelizes and develops a richer, sweeter flavor. There are faster methods, however, if time is of the essence.
For all of these methods, carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds first. After the squash is cooked, use a fork to pull the strands apart, forming long spaghetti-like "noodles."
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Roasting: Roast halves brushed with oil or butter, cut side down on a sheet pan for 45 to 60 minutes at 450 F, until tender and nicely browned.
Instant Pot: Pour 1 cup water in the Instant Pot. Put in the steam rack and set the squash halves on the rack, cut side down. Pierce the skin several times with a fork. Cook on high pressure for 10 to 12 minutes, with an instant release.
Microwave: Put halves in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down, with 1-inch of water. Pierce the skin several times with a fork. Microwave for about 20 minutes, until tender.
More Chicken Dinners
- Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- Sheet-Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Cauliflower
- Sheet-Pan Soy Sauce Chicken and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Turmeric Chicken and Rice