Chickpea stew is a comforting one-pot dinner flavored with coconut milk, turmeric, garlic and ginger. Serve over brown rice and garnish with fresh herbs. The chicken is optional, but delicious.
This is a truly easy recipe that puts a delicious meal on your table with very little effort. Chicken, chickpeas and potatoes are braised in coconut milk, garlic, ginger and turmeric, creating a fragrant and flavorful chickpea stew.
This one-pot chicken dinner is mild enough for kids but also has rich flavors that will keep adults interested too.
After an hour in the oven, the chicken is tender and the chickpeas and potatoes are soft and creamy. This is comfort food, with no guilt.
What I really love about this one-pot chicken recipe is that it's really easy to make but doesn't taste like a simple meal. The flavors are so satisfying and cozy, I'm sure you'll love it too.
Here's How To Make Oven-Roasted Coconut Milk Stew
- Combine cooked/canned chickpeas, potatoes and carrots
- Add ginger and turmeric
- Add chicken, if you like
- Pour a can of coconut milk over the top
- Roast for 1 hour
Make it Vegan
This recipe can easily be made into a lovely vegan meal. Just leave out the chicken and add more potatoes. I've made it this way plenty of times and it's really good!
To round out the meal, consider serving rice or another grain like barley on the side, and sauteed greens.
Can I Use Dried Chickpeas in this Recipe?
No, the chickpeas need to be cooked first before adding them to the recipe. Use either canned chickpeas or you can cook dried chickpeas, then add them.
Are Chickpeas and Garbanzo Beans the Same?
Yes, chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same type of bean. It is a bean that simply goes by two different names.
Add More Chicken
To make this meal heartier, cook more chicken to serve with the stew. Buy additional chicken legs or bone-in thighs and cook them on a sheet pan alongside the stew.
More Chicken Recipes
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes with Citrus and Thyme
- Instant Pot Turmeric Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken Breasts with Potatoes & Carrots
- Sheet Pan Soy Sauce Chicken and Broccoli
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Breasts
Chickpea Stew with Chicken and Potatoes
Chickpea stew is a comforting one-pot dinner roasted in coconut milk, turmeric, garlic and ginger. This is a thick stew, without any broth. Serve over brown rice and garnish with fresh herbs.
It's easy to make this a vegan meal - simply leave out the chicken and add two or three more potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained
- 2 golden potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into ½-inch rounds or half-moons
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with your palm
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 to 3 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs or legs*
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- A few grinds black pepper
*I like this stew to be heavy on the chickpeas and potatoes and light on chicken so I only cook two chicken thighs in the stew. If you prefer more meat, then simply add more chicken thighs or legs. You might need to cook additional chicken on a separate baking sheet if it doesn't fit into the baking dish with the stew.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- In a 9x13 or similar sized baking dish, combine chickpeas, potatoes, carrots, ginger and garlic.
- Sprinkle turmeric over the top and mix well.
- If adding chicken, nestle the chicken thighs or legs into the dish.
- Pour the coconut milk over the chicken and vegetables. Season the entire dish with salt and pepper.
- Cook the dish, uncovered, for 1 hour. There's no need to stir the stew while it cooks.
- When the chickpea stew is done, I usually take the cooked chicken out of the baking pan to shred it, then I return it to the stew.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley or cilantro.
If you plan to serve this chickpea stew over brown rice, then don’t forget to start cooking the rice using your favorite method as soon as the stew goes into the oven.
Keywords: chicken stew, chickpea stew, chickpeas, coconut milk, turmeric