Just 8 ingredients and 8 minutes is all it takes to cook this amazing Filipino Chicken Adobo in your Instant Pot. This boldly flavored dish is an easy family dinner with tons of flavor.
Filipino Chicken Adobo is tangy, salty and garlicky, thanks to a mix of vinegar, soy sauce and whole garlic cloves. A dash a black pepper, a bay leaf and just a pinch of brown sugar add subtle hints of background flavor. A nub of ginger is optional but delicious.
What is Filipino Adobo?
Filipino Adobo is a dish flavored with soy sauce and vinegar. Black pepper, bay leaf, & garlic and/or onion are usually part of the recipe as well. Sometimes, a pinch of sugar is added to balance out the saltiness of the dish. Some recipes add ginger and some don’t.
The tangy, salty blend of ingredients makes a really flavorful marinade for any type of meat. Filipino Adobo is usually served with rice to soak up the delicous sauce.
What Type of Vinegar is Used for Adobo?
You can use white vinegar, rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar for adobo, depending on what you prefer and what you have on hand in your kitchen.
How Much Vinegar Should I Add?
I prefer slightly less vinegar than soy sauce. Some recipes use equal parts vinegar and soy or even more vinegar for a tangier flavor. It’s up to you!
How to Add Even More Flavor
This recipe for Chicken Adobo is made with hungry kids in mind, so although it’s VERY flavorful it’s not over-the-top.
To give the dish even more flavor:
- Add more garlic cloves
- Add Thai chiles or Serrano chiles
- Add ¼ cup more vinegar
What Makes This Recipe Quick & Easy?
This chicken adobo is made in the Instant Pot. Simply dump all the ingredients in, cook for 8 minutes on high pressure, and dinner is ready.
The Instant Pot is a great shortcut for dishes like adobo, which usually are cooked at a slow simmer on the stove. A pressure cooker quickly turns out tender chicken and concentrates the flavors in the sauce.
Sides to Serve with Adobo
I also love chicken adobo over shredded cabbage and carrots. It’s fantastic with roasted vegetables like sweet potato and squash.
Chopped green onions and cilantro or mint are flavorful garnishes on top.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Instant Pot Soy Sauce Chicken and Rice
- Simple Chicken and Rice Instant Pot Dinner
- Sheet Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Cauliflower
- Sheet Pan Soy Sauce Chicken and Broccoli
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT. PLEASE COMMENT BELOW AND LEAVE SOME STARS — THANKS! I APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK!Print
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
Just 8 ingredients and 8 minutes is all it takes to cook this amazing Filipino Chicken Adobo in your Instant Pot. This boldly flavored dish is an easy family dinner with tons of flavor. It's even better the next day!
Total Instant Pot Cooking Time: 10 minutes to reach pressure + 8 minutes cooking time + natural release.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Filipino
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with your palm
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in the Instant Pot: vinegar, low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper, garlic, ginger and bay leaf. Mix well.
- Add the chicken and mix well to coat in the sauce.
- Secure the lid, making sure the steam release valve is in the sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. When the cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally (takes about 10 minutes).
- Shred the chicken and set aside.
- Turn on the Saute function and simmer the liquid in the Instant Pot for about 5 minutes to reduce the sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve with rice on the side.
This recipe is made in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Chicken Adobo tastes great a day or two after it's made, making it a great meal prep recipe.
Make sure to use low-sodium soy sauce, otherwise the sauce will be too salty
Keywords: chicken adobo, filipino chicken adobo, filipino adobo, instant pot chicken, instant pot chicken adobo
Does this recipe make you hungry?
to the Kitchen Skip newsletter
for helpful tips, easy recipes
& good conversation