Red lentils are blended with ginger, carrot, apple, coconut milk and spices to make an unbelievably creamy vegan soup. This Instant Pot red lentil soup cooks in just 10 minutes, plus a natural release.
This is a gorgeous, sunny-yellow soup with an incredibly creamy texture and lots of flavor. Ginger and coriander (or curry) plus a squeeze of lime, swirl together with coconut milk in this Instant Pot red lentil soup.
Looking for a red lentil soup recipe without coconut milk? Try my Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup with Parmesan Chickpeas.
Flavors in this Red Lentil Soup
On its own, red lentil soup tastes rather mild. It's the seasonings and other ingredients that give it flavor.
- Coconut milk: If you love coconut milk, this soup is for you. The creamy rich flavor is front and center.
- Coriander or Curry Powder: Use whichever spice is your favorite
- Ginger: I like a pronounced ginger flavor in this soup; you can add more or less depending on what you like
- Apple and carrot: Adding sweetness and extra nutrients, this fruit and veggie combo blend seamlessly into the soup
- Lime: Don't leave out the lime juice! It really brightens the flavor
- Cilantro: I love a sprinkle of finely chopped cilantro in this soup. If it's not your thing, skip it.
How to Cook Red Lentils in Your Instant Pot
Red lentils break down very quickly in the Instant Pot. Even after just 3 to 5 minutes of cooking time, the red lentils will be very soft and mushy. That's just how red lentils are! Here's a complete guide for how to cook red lentils.
For this recipe, red lentils are cooked on high pressure with 4 cups of water/broth for 10 minutes. The lentils become very soft and are easily blended into a very creamy soup.
How to Cook Batches of Beans and Grains
Cooking batches of dried beans and grains is easier than you might think. It's an affordable way to stock up your refrigerator with wholesome food that can be turned into quick lunches and dinners.
I often make an easy, filling salad by adding olive oil and lemon, fresh herbs, olives and maybe leftover chicken to either beans or grains.
Need guidance for cooking beans and grains? I'm here to help!
- Easy Instant Pot Quinoa
- Brown Rice and Quinoa (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans
- How to Cook Farro
- How to Cook Barley
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot White Beans
I like to serve this creamy vegan soup with store-bought Naan or flatbread on the side. Trader Joe's frozen samosas are also really good with this soup. Or, serve red lentil soup with rice on the side.
Why Do Red Lentils Turn Yellow?
It's true, bright orange/red lentils turn more of a yellow color when cooked. That's just how the legume is. In this soup, adding turmeric makes the yellow color even sunnier.
More Lentil Recipes
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT. PLEASE COMMENT BELOW AND LEAVE SOME STARS — THANKS! I APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK!Print
Does this recipe make you hungry?
to the Kitchen Skip newsletter
for helpful tips and easy recipes