Frozen Watermelon and Coconut Water Ice Cubes are unbelievably refreshing, naturally hydrating and an easy, fun summer treat for kids.
This is a genuinely easy summer activity (I promise!) that everyone in the house will enjoy, because who doesn't love an icy-cold treat?
Especially when it's all-natural with no added sugar and made with just two super hydrating ingredients.
- Coconut Water
- Silicon ice-cube tray
Silicon ice-cube trays make it easier to release the ice cubes when they're frozen. Also, kids love making ice cubes in fun shapes! Just Google, "silicone ice cube tray shapes" and you'll find lots of options.
You can also make popsicles instead of ice cubes. Just pour the watermelon juice into popsicle holders.
- Cut watermelon into squares
- Put watermelon in a blender and blend into juice
- Mix in coconut water
- Pour into ice cube trays
How to Make These Ice Cubes with Kids
Here's how I get the biggest bang for my summer-activity buck with flavored ice cubes, making all the kids and adults in the house happy:
- Make the watermelon juice mid-morning, just as the first wave of boredom hits. The ice cubes need several hours to freeze, so if you make them at 11am, they'll be ready by 3pm, which is officially "hot and cranky hour" in our house.
- Blend a little bit of extra watermelon, so everyone can have a glass of watermelon juice while waiting for the ice cubes to freeze.
- Use a container with a small spout (like a glass measuring cup) to pour the watermelon juice into the ice cube trays
- Have fun with the anticipation of waiting for the ice cubes to freeze. My kids like to check the ice cubes about 400 hundred times to see if they're ready.
- Bring out the ice cubes at 3pm, when everyone needs a cool, refreshing and fun summer treat
More Juice Ideas
You can, of course, use any type of juice to make flavored ice cubes. Simply buy juice at the store, or blend up other types of fruit in a high-speed blender. Try red seedless grapes or strawberries to make grape juice and strawberry juice.
Add More Flavor
You can change up the flavor of watermelon ice cubes and watermelon popsicles with different ingredient variations. When you blend up the watermelon in a blender, you can also add:
- coconut milk
- vanilla almond milk
- lime juice
- A pinch of salt
- Frozen raspberries or strawberries
Watermelon Ice Cubes for Adults
Why should kids have all the fun? Steal a few watermelon and coconut water ice cubes for yourself and drop them into a glass of sparkling water or something a bit stronger. This small and perfectly square ice cube tray is perfect for adult beverages.
More Healthy-ish Treats
Does this recipe make you hungry?
for helpful tips and easy recipes