Frozen Watermelon and Coconut Water Ice Cubes(or popsicles) are refreshing, naturally hydrating and an easy, fun summer treat for kids.
This is a genuinely easy summer activity (I promise!) that everyone in the house will enjoy, because who doesn't love an icy-cold treat?
It's also a great way to use up leftover watermelon, so it doesn't go to waste.
You only need one ingredient: watermelon!
Anything else you add is extra. Here are some ingredients you can add to the blender with the watermelon:
- Coconut Water
- Frozen berries
- A squeeze of lime
- Lemonade, or another type of juice
- Simple syrup, to sweeten things up
- Silicon ice-cube tray or popsicles molds
Silicon ice-cube trays make it easier to release the ice cubes when they're frozen. Also, kids love making ice cubes in fun shapes! Just Google, "silicone ice cube tray shapes" and you'll find lots of options.
You can also make popsicles instead of ice cubes. Just pour the watermelon juice into popsicle holders.
Step 1: Cut watermelon into squares. Puree the watermelon in a blender for less than 1 minute. Adding coconut water is optional.
Step 2: Pour the watermelon juice into ice cube trays or popsicle molds
Prefer to watch a how-to recipe video? Check out my watermelon popsicle video
How to Make These Ice Cubes with Kids
Here's how I get the biggest bang for my summer-activity buck with flavored ice cubes, making all the kids and adults in the house happy:
- Make the watermelon juice mid-morning, just as the first wave of boredom hits. The ice cubes/popsicles need several hours to freeze, so if you make them at 11am, they'll be ready by 3pm, which is officially "hot and cranky hour" in our house.
- Blend a little bit of extra watermelon, so everyone can have a glass of watermelon juice while waiting for the ice cubes to freeze.
- Use a container with a small spout (like a glass measuring cup) to pour the watermelon juice into the ice cube trays
- Have fun with the anticipation of waiting for the ice cubes to freeze. My kids like to check the ice cubes about 400 hundred times to see if they're ready.
Make Watermelon Juice Instead!
You don't have to freeze the watermelon juice that you puree. You can just drink it straight from the blender!
- If the watermelon is underripe and flavorless, add a little simple syrup or another type of store-bought juice that is sweeter
- If the watermelon is overripe, add a squeeze of lime or some lemonade
- To make the watermelon juice smooth, make sure to puree it really well in the blender. You can also pour it through a fine mesh strainer.
- Any type of alcohol instantly turns watermelon juice into a summer cocktail for adults. Try vodka, gin, rum, tequila or Prosecco. Plus a squeeze of lime!
Watermelon Ice Cubes for Adults
Why should kids have all the fun? Steal a few watermelon and coconut water ice cubes for yourself and drop them into a glass of sparkling water or something a bit stronger. This small and perfectly square ice cube tray is perfect for adult beverages.
More Healthy-ish Treats
Does this recipe make you hungry?
to the Kitchen Skip newsletter
for helpful tips and easy recipes