Instant Pot cabbage with lemon & parsley has a buttery, tender-crisp texture and mellow cabbage flavor spiked with parsley, lemon and garlic.
You're going to love the ease of chopping up cabbage and tossing it into your Instant Pot to cook!
An Instant Pot elevates the texture and flavor of cooked cabbage from bland and boring to "wow!"
Garlic, lemon and parsley add a burst of flavor that brightens up cooked cabbage.
The texture of Instant Pot cabbage is buttery and silky but not soggy. It's tender, but not over-cooked.
You can also cook other types of vegetables in your pressure cooker, like Instant Pot collard greens, Instant Pot steamed broccoli, garlicky Instant Pot green beans,and balsamic glazed Instant Pot asparagus.
Step 1: Cut the cabbage into 4 wedges. Slice off the hard core at the bottom of each wedge.
Step 2: Slice each wedge into smaller, 1-inch wide pieces
Step 3: In the Instant Pot, melt the butter and saute the garlic
Step 4: Add ½ cup water and the cabbage to the pressure cooker. Secure the lid and cook for 2 minutes, with a quick release.
Step 5: Stir the cabbage well to coat all of the cabbage leaves in the flavorful garlic broth. Transfer the pressure cooked cabbage to a serving bowl. Top with parsley and fresh lemon juice. Add salt to taste.
Cooking Time for Pressure Cooker Cabbage
Instant Pot cabbage cooks in only 2 minutes on high pressure, with a quick release right when the cooking time is done.
The cabbage is tender but still has a slight firmness that you can stick a fork into. It won't have any crunchiness, but it also won't be limp and super-soft.
If you like really soft, buttery braised cabbage then bump the cooking time up to 3 minutes on high pressure.
You can also use red cabbage for this recipe. Instant Pot red cabbage cooks for the same amount of time as green cabbage.
Cabbage cooked in a pressure cooker is an easy side dish that's really versatile. Cooked cabbage pairs especially well with:
- Ground meat
- Sausage - like kielbasa
- Roasted meat (like pot roast or pork roast)
- Roasted Chicken
- Mashed potatoes
- Pasta, like buttered egg noodles
More Simple Instant Pot Side Dishes
Does this recipe make you hungry?
to the Kitchen Skip newsletter
for helpful tips, easy recipes
& good conversation
Instant Pot Cabbage
Instant Pot Cabbage has a soft, buttery texture and mellow cabbage flavor spiked with garlic, lemon and parsley. It's a really easy way to cook cabbage for a quick and flavorful side dish.
Total Instant Pot Cooking Time: 10 minutes to reach pressure + 2 minutes at high pressure + Quick release
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 2
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (or olive oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (or dill)
- Salt to taste
- Cut the cabbage into 4 quarters. Cut away the core attached to the bottom of each quarter.
- Slice each quarter crosswise into pieces that are 1-inch wide.
- Press the Saute button to heat the Instant Pot. Add the butter to melt.
- Add the garlic. Saute the butter and garlic just long enough to melt the butter and lightly brown the garlic (less than a minute)
- Add the water.
- Add the cabbage. A whole head will fill up ¾ of the pot.
- Lock the lid in place. Make sure the steam release valve is in the sealed position.
- Press Manual/Pressure Cook and cook for 2 minutes on high pressure. This will make cabbage that is very tender but still has a slight firmness that you can stick a fork into. If you like really soft cabbage, then bump the cooking time up to 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release the pressure by immediately turning the release valve to venting when the cooking time is done.
- Stir the cabbage well to cover all the leaves in the flavorful garlic broth at the bottom.
- Stir in parsley and lemon. Add salt to taste
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
This recipe can also be made using red cabbage.
Keywords: instant pot cabbage, cabbage, cooked cabbage, pressure cooker cabbage