Instant Pot Lemon & Parsley Cabbage has a buttery texture and mellow cabbage flavor spiked with parsley, lemon and garlic.
I love the ease of chopping up cabbage and tossing it into the Instant Pot to cook. Add a little butter (or olive oil) and garlic + ½ cup water, and you've got yourself a healthy vegetable side dish.
Parsley and lemon add a burst of flavor that brightens up the cooked cabbage.
I also really like cooking heartier greens in my pressure cooker, like Instant Pot Collard Greens.
What Does Pressure-Cooked Cabbage Taste Like?
Cabbage cooked in your Instant Pot has a mild, slightly sweet cabbage flavor and a texture that is silky and tender.
I like adding garlic for more flavor, but you can skip the garlic if you like.
Cooking Time for Pressure Cooker Cabbage
I like to cook cabbage for only 2 minutes on high pressure in my Instant Pot, with a quick release right when the cooking time is done. The cabbage is tender but still has a slight firmness that you can stick a fork into. It won't have any crunchiness, but it also won't be limp and super-soft.
If you like really soft, buttery braised cabbage then bump the cooking time up to 3 minutes on high pressure.
How to Serve Pressure Cooker Cabbage
Cabbage cooked in a pressure cooker is an easy side dish that's really versatile. Cooked cabbage pairs especially well with:
- Ground meat
- Roasted meat (like pot roast or pork roast)
- Roasted Chicken
- Mashed potatoes
More Simple Instant Pot Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Orzo
- How to Cook Garbanzo Beans
- Easy Instant Pot Quinoa
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Instant Pot Turmeric Coconut Rice
Does this recipe make you hungry?
to the Kitchen Skip newsletter
for helpful tips, easy recipes
& good conversation
Instant Pot Lemon & Parsley Cabbage
Instant Pot Lemon & Parsley Cabbage has a soft, buttery texture and mellow cabbage flavor spiked with garlic, lemon and parsley. It's a really easy way to cook cabbage for a quick and flavorful side dish.
Total Instant Pot Cooking Time: 10 minutes to reach pressure + 2 minutes at high pressure + Quick release
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 2
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (or olive oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (or dill)
- Salt to taste
- Cut the cabbage into quarters. Cut away the core attached to the bottom of each quarter.
- Slice each quarter crosswise into pieces that are 1-inch wide.
- Press the Saute button to heat the insert. When it is hot, add the butter and garlic.
- Cook the butter and garlic just long enough to melt the butter and lightly brown the garlic (less than a minute)
- Add the water.
- Add the cabbage. A whole head will fill up ¾ of the pot.
- Lock the lid in place. Make sure the steam release valve is in the sealed position.
- Press Manual/Pressure Cook and cook for 2 minutes on high pressure. This will make cabbage that is very tender but still has a slight firmness that you can stick a fork into. If you like really soft cabbage, then bump the cooking time up to 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release the pressure by immediately turning the release valve to venting when the cooking time is done.
- Stir the cabbage well to cover all the leaves in the flavorful garlic broth at the bottom.
- Stir in parsley and lemon. Add salt to taste
This recipe is made in a 6-quart Instant Pot
Keywords: instant pot cabbage, cabbage, cooked cabbage